Beef and okra Stew
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter (ghee) or expeller pressed corn oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless beef shoulder, cut into t- to 2- inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 pack of frozen okra or baby okra
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Preparation:Heat clarified butter or corn oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook and stir until it turns translucent. Add beef cubes and brown on all sides. Add cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, stock, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add tomato puree and okra, stir, and cover. Cook for another 30 minutes, until okra is tender. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in lemon or lime juice. Serve warm.